Monday, May 23, 2011

First Imperial Sector building finished!!

Wow, it has been too long since my last post!  Things have been hectic around the old homestead, so hobby time has been prety hard to come by for the last few weeks...

But, I have had time to (mostly) finish up my first Imperial Sector building:


This is the Manufactorum kit, the simplest and smallest of the kits included in the Imperial Sector.  I used about 2/3 of the bits for it, and managed to make a fairly interesting building.  Here's a detail shot of one of the Adeptus Mechanicus logos:


I put a bit more effort into those, but the rest of the building is pretty simply painted.  I picked out a few details here and there, to add a bit of color, but the bulk of the building is painted as follows:

1.) A simple, but fairly heavy coat of Krylon Grey Primer spray paint
2.) A liberal "wash," using diluted black acrylic craft paint
3.) A light drybrush of Codex Grey paint from GW
4.) A heavy drybrush of Skull White paint from GW

Then I painted all the various details like I would a normal model.


The rubble is mostly chopped up sprue, but I alse used some basing grit from Gale Force 9 in several sizes, and a bit of the concrete rubble GF9 makes.




Eventually, I'd like to add some snow effects, to match my eventual Space Wolves themed game board, but I'll probably do that to all my completed buildings at one time.

I've already made another building, a bit larger and more ambitious, but it isn't painted yet.  The Basilica Administratum kit is much more detailed, and will be more challenging to paint.  I plan on an even larger building (on a 1-foot by 2-foot piece of board, instead of 1-foot by 1-foot like this one) to use up the majority of the rest of the kit (mostly the Sanctum Imperialis).  But, hopefully, I can cobble together a smaller building with the leftovers, for a total of 4.

Overall, I've had a great experience with this kit.  The sheer volume of sprues and bits in the kit is intimidating at first, but the buildings go together super easy.  I think the square, modular nature of the buidling tiles makes things go super smoothly, compared to GW's vehicle and squad kits.

As always, thanks for reading!  Comments and feedback is always appreciated!

-Dave

2 comments:

  1. Thats great mate, the Adeptus Mechanicus logo looks great. You might of only used 2/3's of it but it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how the hell do you transport this shit? :D

    ReplyDelete